Resolving Referenced Images

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Wed Apr 23 00:26:00 CDT 2003


**********
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:36:41 -0700
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> From: Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> OenoLog includes 300+ icons & other images.
----------
Good grief! Just a brief query: Why so many?
----------
> Most, if not all, of
> these images are referenced images, and that has worked well in that
> I can modify images at will and replace the original image in the
> image folder without having to touch the stack.
> 
> However, now that I have switched to Rev 2, I find that at least some
> of my image references include the full path to the image instead of
> just the image name.  Those references now fail because they include
> "Revolution 1B5A7" instead of "Revolution 2.0 B1 OS9".
>
> Upon further investigation, I find most of of my referenced images
> resolve to the image name, but some resolve to a full path name,
> including "1B5A7".  I'm not sure how this happened (referencing the
> image when its folder was not the default folder?); but it suggests a
> possible reason why images are lost when stack files are moved or
> referenced from a standalone.
----------
Hmm...I see the problem. It looks like they might have originally taken on
the name because of being a simple relative filepath. IOW, some referenced
images had a relative filepath from the earlier version, so maybe Rev 2B,
being in a different folder, tried to compensate by establishing a full
filepath. Kinda difficult to explain what I mean.
----------
> Up to now, my presumed fault whenever someone reports missing images
> is failure to set the default folder to the folder containing the
> images; however that won't help if the image resolves to a complete
> file path.
----------
Well, if I'm right (maybe not), then that might work if they did it _first_,
i.e., before Rev2B tried to find them, but not after, because it attached a
full filepath when looking for it in the other folder, e.g., Rev2B says:

"Where are the images? Well, this app was first created by an old version so
I expect them to be in what used to be the default folder for the old
version. If I want that to work now, I have to establish a full filepath to
there, because the user probably didn't change that to be _my_ default
folder. That way I can always get to it. No, wait, someone actually changed
it to be _my_ default folder, so now I will make it a relative filepath for
me."

...thus, you may end up with the first few it tried to find with the old
name and a full filepath, and the rest normalized to the new setup...or
something like that.
----------
> If anyone encounters a situation where a referenced image is "lost",
> open a card that includes the image in the Application Browser &
> double-click on the image name.  If the Source field <> the Name
> field, you have potential problems.
----------
That would fall in line with what I'm thinking, which is the kind of
thinking that could make me think my little trolley has jumped the tracks
for good  %)

Ken N.




More information about the use-livecode mailing list