Drag & drop install & read-only status

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 23:33:01 EDT 2002

Hi Bob,

I've had this problem before. The solution I went for
was the following:

1) on the cd, i put a small file names "firstrun.yes"
in the same directory as the application.

2) on startUp, the application checks for the
existence of that same file.

3) if it exists, the application will run a batch file
"firstrun.bat" which will switch the read-only flag
off.

4) after that has executed, the application will
delete the "firstrun.yes" file.

"firstrun.bat" looks something like:

@echo "Finishing installation..."
@echo "Do NOT interrupt this program!"
@echo "1) Data files"
@cd data
@attrib -r *.*
@echo "2) Help files"
@cd ../help
@attrib -r *.*
@cd ..
@attrib -r firstrun.yes
@echo "Installation finished."

The "on startUp" handler looks something like:

on startUp
  # some other stuff...
  get shell("firstrun.bat")
  # really should check for the result here...
  delete file "firstrun.yes"
  # some more stuff...
end startUp

Note: of course you could use the shell() function to
read and execute the commands in "firstrun.bat" from a
field instead ; however, if something is wrong, it's
easier to send a batch file than a new cd...

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)