Tutorial tip: Creating Custom Icons for Standalone Windows apps.

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Sep 6 22:28:00 EDT 2002

> I'd like to say that I use a different icon editor normally for software
> that I develop, and the icons it makes are not compatible with Rev's
> rather archaic limitations. 16 colors? Are we serious? Mac users knock
> off a star or even two at version tracker for an application that has a
> crappy icon - no matter how good the software is. With the advent of
> aqua an elegant icon is even more critical. This Windows limitation HAS
> to go away, or Rev based applications are going to get saddled with a
> stigma. I'm not even kidding, though I wish I was. Many users do judge a
> book by its cover - and in this case the cover is a 16 color icon. Blech!

I, for one, heartily agree with this rant.  However, folks who are
absolutely desperate for a custom icon beyond 16 colors might try the
following: create an alias/shortcut or launcher stack which serves as the
visual "front end" representation of your application.  The "real"
application can be hidden in a folder and launched via file association.
You can then assign a custom icon to the alias/shortcut/stack.  While I
personally haven't done this on OSX, I have used this technique on Windows
via desktop shortcuts.  Granted this just a workaround, not a solution, but
it might be workable.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director