many small or 1 big?

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Sun Sep 8 13:54:00 EDT 2002

This is OT from your request, but I think worth a philosophical comment.

"The savings in HD space for the 1 BIG method is laughable these days (I
just bought an 80 GB HD for $150) and the savings in RAM is rapidly becoming
laughable."

I believe that this kind of thinking can too easily lead one unwittingly
down the path of poor programming. It becomes easy to do inefficient
"quick-and-dirty" that works for a small program because the inefficiencies
are "covered" by all the available RAM and disk space. Through habit, these
sloppy methods become the norm, and when it's time to do a big project
requiring utmost efficiency, we're at a serious disadvantage from not having
learned the efficient methods on the small, easy programs.

In a more general sense, it's like saying that the little things in life
don't matter, when in fact, they really do.