Tutorial tip: Creating Custom Icons for Standalone Windows apps.

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Sep 6 22:08:01 EDT 2002

On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 09:59  PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Check out http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Tutorials.htm to
> see a
> real quick way of using existing 32x32 bmp files to create valid .ico
> files
> for RR using a very small shareware program. While the program works
> just
> fine without purchasing it...if you use it a lot, consider supporting
> the
> author.
>
> There are also a couple of glossy photoshop tutorials at my home page:
> www.chipp.com You can use them to help you get ideas for icons.

Chipp, great job, thanks.

I'd like to say that I use a different icon editor normally for software
that I develop, and the icons it makes are not compatible with Rev's
rather archaic limitations. 16 colors? Are we serious? Mac users knock
off a star or even two at version tracker for an application that has a
crappy icon - no matter how good the software is. With the advent of
aqua an elegant icon is even more critical. This Windows limitation HAS
to go away, or Rev based applications are going to get saddled with a
stigma. I'm not even kidding, though I wish I was. Many users do judge a
book by its cover - and in this case the cover is a 16 color icon. Blech!

Ah well, rant over. Thanks for the tip and the mini-tutorial, anyhow.

--
Troy
RPSystems, LTD