Card vs Sub Stack?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Jan 7 10:36:01 EST 2002

on 5/1/02 5:23 PM, Rob Cozens at rcozens at pon.net wrote:

> In an application where each card serves as the user interface to a file of
> records (ie: there is one card per record type rather than one card per
> record a la HyperCard rolodex), what are the pros & cons of creating the
> cards as individual substacks vs all cards in a single stack?

My $0.02, FWIW: I have an application such as this, and used seperate
substacks for each type, mainly so that the different types could be edited
in different windows.  It turned out that while some of my users appreciated
this, some found it made their lives more confusing, and I ended up having
to implement a 'pin windows' functionality which made all windows the same
size and position (so that you could only see one at a time) and which
arranged that when in this mode, dragging any (obviously the front most)
would drag the others to the same position (so that they remained hidden
behind it).  In effect this was reverting to the position of having separate
cards of one stack.

Depending on your userbase, more functionality may not imply more
productivity.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866