Revolution - firewall - httpProxy

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Aug 29 23:11:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 01:09 PM,
Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com wrote:

> Has anyone used Rev to access the internet from behind a
> firewall?  What is
> the proper way to pass a firewall username/password combination so the
> firewall will not complain?  I posted this to runrev support, but still
> have not got it to work.

There are several things that might be happening.

If you have firewall client software on your computer, it may be
asking for a password.  If so, it should be separate from the web
browsing.

Most likely though, the web proxy is asking for it.  It might ask
one of a couple ways.  It might be using HTTP authentication or it
might be using a web page for authentication.  The first one
results in a boring popup dialog box with site and realm
information and fields for the user name and password.  The second
results in a web page asking for the password.

It may be you are seeing the first.  If the LAN is presumed to be
secure, it might be using Basic Authentication.  This takes less
work than other methods.  It essentially means attaching these to
the headers as "Authorization: Basic goblygook" where the goblygook
is a scrambling of the name and password.

If that looks like the case, then setting the httpHeaders or a
related property might work.  (I have not used this and I'm not
sure which commands it applies to.)  You have to look up the method
to computer the goblygook, though.

Dar Scott