Sort

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 13:26:01 EDT 2002

--- yves COPPE <yvescoppe at skynet.be> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> IT DOES THE SAME AS THE SORT LINES Command !!!!
>
> So there is no difference for me and the alfabet is
> not correct in french

My mistake, I misjudged the documentation, and
_assumed_ it would eat the diacritical marks.
Of course it's still possible to write one's own
myUpper() function that converts those special chars
to their non-diacritical equivalent.

function myUpper pString
  repeat for each char tChar in pString
    put myUpperChar(tChar) after tString
  end repeat
  return tString
end myUpper

function myUpperChar pChar
  if toLower(pChar) is in "áàâ" then return "A"
  if toLower(pChar) is in "éèê" then return "E"
  if toLower(pChar) is in "úùû" then return "U"
  -- add some more lines for the other vowels...
  return toUpper(pChar)
end myUpperChar

> if I write : sort lines of tdata international, it's
> worse !!!!

Actually, if I use
  sort lines of tData international
on this machine, it works just fine -- I had been
looking for that keyword in the docs, as I vaguely
remembered it from HyperCard.

My result is (on WinME/Dutch)

appareil
école
fusée
soleil

What is the result you get? If I recall correctly,
you're running MacOS X 10.1.5 ; are your control
panels set correctly?

Just a few thoughts,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (De Rochefoucald)