Can I use Revolution for this?

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Sat Aug 3 03:58:00 EDT 2002

At 3:53 pm -0400 2/8/02, Rodney Somerstein wrote:

>Now, my concern has to do with the standalone limitations. Is there
>a way that I can read data from an external file and then create all
>of the playing pieces and such that are needed in a particular game?
>Even a small game is likely to have more than 50 pieces. It seems
>that I'm going to bump into the limitations of the standalone
>environment as each of these pieces would be an object and the  user
>needs to be able to script them to a certain extent. Is this a real
>concern, or is there a simple workaround?

It would be useful if you could give a concrete example of what a
user may need to "script". If it's a case of modifying (as opposed to
creating) object behaviors (speed, power, etc.), perhaps custom
properties could used to set values that a pre-written script uses
when it runs. You can clone objects that have any size of script (in
a standalone or in development), so creating pieces from an external
stack of pre-existing objects would seem to be possible.

Cheers
Dave