Serial communication

John John at onechip.com
Sat Dec 1 04:56:01 EST 2001

On Friday, November 30, 2001, at 03:51 PM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> I want to receive information coming in via a serial connection and
> capture for processing in Rev. When I use a terminal application
> (ZTerm) the info comes across as plain text so it looks

Snip...

Bill,

    I asked a similar question on the list quite some time ago and did
not receive a reply.  In my case the only application I currently need
to write requires the serial port.  From what I can gather the only
platform with serial port support is Windows.  Macs have not had a
"printer" port in a very long time and the "modem" port is taken by the
modem.  Despite this I could not pass up the HyperCard cross grade offer
and took the plunge.  If you need access to serial ports and are looking
for a nice development environment you might try RealBasic.  I have used
it extensively for control applications that use the serial port (pretty
much all I do when it come to programming). It works very well, has a
nice development environment, and good documentation including third
party books.  I really wish serial port support was added for both the
Mac and Linux.  I would like to try RR for something serious (I am just
playing now).

Good luck,
John Miskimins