Engine 3.0 gm3 unable to open legacy stacks on MacOS?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Oct 20 05:14:05 CDT 2008

Klaus Major wrote:

>> Another question: Is there a way to start the 3.0 engine inside the
>> MC IDE and coming up as "Metacard" (like it was possible with earlier
>> versions)? After I rename the "Revolution" file deep down in the OS
>> bundle it refuses to start.
>

> You will also have to change some strings in the "info.plist" inside
> the app bundle! I can send you an "empty" app bundle without the
> actual engine, if you like.
>
> Then you will only have to put the Rev engine into it, rename it to
> "MetaCard" as you did
>
> and that will do the trick.

Thank you, Klaus! Works like a charm.

As I not a permanent and exclusive user of MacOS I need to learn a lot
about the new structural elements and especially about "plists".

Putting the Rev engine into the contents/MacOS folder of the bundle you
sent me first produced an error message (in German on my machine)
stating that this program is not supported by the architecture. But as
you indicated, the engine has to be renamed to "MetaCard" and then all
is fine, even a Metacard icon shows.

But apparently there are more ways to do this. Again following your
advice above about changes to the plist file, I tried that before your
bundle arrived here, i.e. I did just that in the folder into which I had
put the complete Rev bundle along with the MC IDE. Here engine and MC
IDE are started, only the tool bar shows "Revolution" as the program.
I edited the plist in only two places and renamed from Revolution to
MetaCard

- CFBundleExecutable  and
- CFBundleName

and now "Metacard" is displayed in the tool bar - *without* having
changed the name of the engine from Revolution to MetaCard. If I rename
the engine to "MetaCard" then the program does not start in this case.

The only thing that differs from your bundle solution is that with my
"plist-changes only" the Metacard bundle shows a generic application
icon with an "A" in the icon.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Wilhelm