Engine 3.0 gm3 unable to open legacy stacks on MacOS?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Oct 20 06:03:09 CDT 2008

Hi Wilhelm,

> Thank you, Klaus! Works like a charm.

You're welcome .-)

> As I not a permanent and exclusive user of MacOS I need to learn a
> lot about the new structural elements and especially about "plists".

Well, OS X IS userfriendly, but as the word says just for the end-user!
Developers do not have this pleasant time :-D

> Putting the Rev engine into the contents/MacOS folder of the bundle
> you sent me first produced an error message (in German on my
> machine) stating that this program is not supported by the
> architecture. But as you indicated, the engine has to be renamed to
> "MetaCard" and then all is fine, even a Metacard icon shows.
>
> But apparently there are more ways to do this. Again following your
> advice above about changes to the plist file, I tried that before
> your bundle arrived here, i.e. I did just that in the folder into
> which I had put the complete Rev bundle along with the MC IDE. Here
> engine and MC IDE are started, only the tool bar shows "Revolution"
> as the program.
> I edited the plist in only two places and renamed from Revolution to
> MetaCard
>
> - CFBundleExecutable  and
> - CFBundleName
>
> and now "Metacard" is displayed in the tool bar - *without* having
> changed the name of the engine from Revolution to MetaCard. If I
> rename the engine to "MetaCard" then the program does not start in
> this case.

Yes, OS X checks the entry in the plist and the actual name of the
"executable" inside the app-bundle.
No match, no fun!

> The only thing that differs from your bundle solution is that with
> my "plist-changes only" the Metacard bundle shows a generic
> application icon with an "A" in the icon.

It WILL show the correct, but only after the next restart or log-in!

> Once again, thanks for your help.
>
> Wilhelm

Best

Klaus Major