[ANN] automatic metacard IDE creation tool

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 10 00:44:12 CDT 2007

Björnke von Gierke wrote:
> i wanted to write a tutorial for people to follow, when they do not have
> any metacard installed yet, but want to check it out. In my opinion, the
> process would be too complex to follow, and no one is gonna read a
> tutorial anyway.
> Therefore I made a stack that does it mostly automatic:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/bvg/temp/create_mc_for_macosx.rev
>
> It works for Mac OS X, and people still need to supply the ide stacks by
> hand.

Urgh. Wish I'd known. I just spent most of tonight doing the same thing.
Richard and I have been talking in email and this is a feature he
suggested I add, to be integrated into the IDE as a menu item. I was
about to write to the list to tell folks and get feedback on some of the
features I have implemented.

> Related to that: Would it be possible to mirror the IDE stack files
> somewhere, where a program can download them (maybe ask runrev for a bit
> of space on their server?)? Additionally, is it possible not to use zip
> files (because that needs the zip.dll)? I recommend plain stack files,
> maybe gz, because these can be used within rev/mc.

I had exactly the same thoughts, and just wrote to Richard about it (he
hasn't answered yet.) I also want to avoid the external if possible, so
would like to see the stacks individually gzipped. Richard will be
setting up a permanent URL for the IDE downloads, which my stack also
implements. I guess you and I are on the same wavelength.

> A feature i could have made is the creation of relevant bundles needed
> to build applications within mc, but it's 06.00 and i want sleep.

Richard suggested I not include the standalone engines, as he is going
to rewrite the standalone builder to accomodate that.

I guess we should have coordinated this better, but Richard only asked
me yesterday. :( Maybe you and he can sort it out, and if you want, I'm
happy to step down.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com