BvG Docu and home stack in Metacard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 8 09:55:06 CDT 2007

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
> Another way to do this:
>
> put "revxml.dll" and the Rev folder "documentation" into your MC folder
> (you can delete most of it afterwards).
>
> Open "BvG_docu" stack and add "revxml.dll" under "components,
> externals". Do the same for substack "docsLib" after topleveling it.
>
> Save "BvG_docu" and quit Metacard.
>
> Start MC again and stack "BvG_docu" and follow Björnkes procedures.
>
> Folder "documents" now contains an additional subfolder "BvG_docu". This
> is the only thing you need to run the dictionary, You can throw out
> folders and files "packaged_XML", "rev", "pdf" (unless you intend to use
> these special rev-files or the PDF user documentation), "glos.index",
> "glos.rsindex", and "dict.index".
>
> The remaining "BvG_docu" folder thus adds 5.3 MB to your Metacard
> folder, instead of the 24.6 MB of the complete Rev documentation.--

Maybe we could go one step further and just load the externals from
where they are in the Rev installation without having to copy them.

The one thing we know is that one must have a licensed Rev install to
run MC, so the parts are already there.

When we get an installer for MC (sorely needed; setting it up now is
needlessly difficult) it could write the path to Rev into a file or a
property within the MC installation so we know where to find any parts
we need.

The only question I have about this sort of "Rev compatibility" is
whether we can do it for backScripts/externals/libraries only, and never
use any Rev frontScripts.

Messages are too critical, and one of the benefits of MC is that it
leaves the messages alone as much as possible, minimizing the stuff
between the developer and the engine.

As long as anything brought into use within MC is downstream in the
message path, it seems we could gain functionality without hampering
messaging.