Automated setup file uploaded

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jul 15 22:28:48 CDT 2007

Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

> WOW, awesome !! Great work Jacque.

Thanks. :)

> Some notes:
>
> 1. May be on Mac OS it makes sense to open Tools palette by default  on
> startup as well ?

This would be something the group should vote on to add to the home
stack. I generally prefer not to have the tools palette open, so it
would be nice if it were a preference.

> While I'm on this, may be it makes sense to remember positions of stacks
> "home", "MCtools" and "Control browser" ?
> It's easy to position this stacks in your preferable place and save
> them, but it would be still nice to have this automated.

I'd like that. If others agree, is that something you'd like to add to
the IDE?

> 2. May be makes sense to add keyboard shortcuts for "new stack" and to
> show / hide "control browser" ?
> I have "command + N" for new stack and "command + B" for control browser
> and it's convenient in my personal experience.

I usually use Cmd-N for New Card, so I'm not so keen on this change but
if others want it, I could live with it.

Changes like this are handy in a frontscript; then you don't have to
change the IDE. I keep a lot of custom keyboard commands in a frontscript.

> 3) How about standalone building ?
>
> It seems Jacque's stack would not move runtimes along with Dev engine.

Right, I left that out because the last I heard, Richard wanted to
change the MC standalone builder to handle that. (We better tell Klaus. ;))

> I tried to build standalone by pointing "MC standalone builder.."  to
> runtime engine in Rev Enterprise" folder, but got the error.
> standalone was created BTW but could not be launched.
> I just did a brief check, never tried to investigate the issue yet, but
> generally speaking, do we still need to manually move Rev runtime
> engines to MC IDE folder and rename them to build standalone in MC IDE?

Yes, that hasn't changed. For now, you'll need to create a standalone
engine to build from. You can make a copy of the MC app that Setup
creates, and replace the engine inside the bundle with the standalone
engine from the Revolution distribution.

I could add the standalone building engines to the Setup too, I suppose.
That way we'd have an option until the MC SB is changed. I can't promise
when I'll do it though. ;)

> 4) When I tried to save "home" stack in MC IDE created with
> "metacard_setup" I got "can't open stack backup file" error. Recently
> I'm getting such error from time to time in my version of MC IDE as
> well, so it may have something with my computer configuration (I still
> have panther on this particular computer). Just curious if anybody saw
> such error recently. In my case, second attempt to save is always
> successful but  after the error I usually see renamed copy of
> "mctools.mc" stack in the root folder and the filename is either
> arbitrary letter "c" or "f"  etc or the digit "0" or  "9", or "7" etc.
> It looks almost like new engine bug where engine can't create "~" +
> filename BackUp of opened stack in MC IDE.

This is almost always computer-related, and the error comes from the
engine when it can't write a file to your hard drive for some reason. If
the second attempt always works, you may have an older backup file still
on disk with the same name the engine wants to use for the backup. Look
in your stack's folder location for any old stacks that look like
incomplete backup files (for example, any stacks with a tilde in the
name.) Permissions can be another problem, but it doesn't sound like
that is what's wrong.

As an experiment, make a new folder and move your stacks to that
location. Then try saving the stack again and see if it works. If it
does, there is something wrong with the older folder.

> 5) Recently Ken and Richard made a cool discovery that by placing "Home"
> and "McTools.mc" stacks into folder with  Rev IDE would launch Rev
> engine in MC IDE. I tried and it worked with no noticeable problems.
> While Jacque's solution is superior of course,  just curious, for "quick
> and dirty" solution, any side effects for this way of launching MC IDE
> that anybody noticed?

There shouldn't be any problems (the Setup docs mention the technique as
an alternate way to run MC, too.) The only drawback is that you can no
longer launch the Rev IDE unless you remove the MC stacks first. If you
never need the Rev IDE then this method works fine.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com