Automated setup file uploaded

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Sun Jul 15 21:49:40 CDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 7:35 AM, metacard-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:23:50 -0500, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I've just uploaded my version of the MetaCard Setup stack to the
>> MC_IDE area on Yahoo Groups:

WOW, awesome !! Great work Jacque.

Some notes:

1. May be on Mac OS it makes sense to open Tools palette by default  on
startup as well ?

on startup
   if the version >="2.7" then
     start using stack "mctools.mc"
     if the platform <> "MacOS" then
       palette "mctools.mc"
         ELSE ---------     new line !
       palette "tools" -- new line !
     end if
     set the defaultStack to "Home"
     reset cursors
   end if
   pass startup
end startup

While I'm on this, may be it makes sense to remember positions of
stacks "home", "MCtools" and "Control browser" ?
It's easy to position this stacks in your preferable place and save
them, but it would be still nice to have this automated.

2. May be makes sense to add keyboard shortcuts for "new stack" and to
show / hide "control browser" ?
I have "command + N" for new stack and "command + B" for control
browser and it's convenient in my personal experience.
note: to make command + N work I had to disable  the following lines in
fld "Message Field"  of stack "Message Box"

   # if which is "P"
   # then prevline
   # if which is "N"
   # then nextline

I use arrow keys for prevline and NextLine in msg box anyway.

3) How about standalone building ?

It seems Jacque's stack would not move runtimes along with Dev engine.
I tried to build standalone by pointing "MC standalone builder.."  to
runtime engine in Rev Enterprise" folder, but got the error.
standalone was created BTW but could not be launched.
I just did a brief check, never tried to investigate the issue yet, but
generally speaking, do we still need to manually move Rev runtime
engines to MC IDE folder and rename them to build standalone in MC IDE?

4) When I tried to save "home" stack in MC IDE created with
"metacard_setup" I got "can't open stack backup file" error. Recently
I'm getting such error from time to time in my version of MC IDE as
well, so it may have something with my computer configuration (I still
have panther on this particular computer). Just curious if anybody saw
such error recently. In my case, second attempt to save is always
successful but  after the error I usually see renamed copy of
"mctools.mc" stack in the root folder and the filename is either
arbitrary letter "c" or "f"  etc or the digit "0" or  "9", or "7" etc.
It looks almost like new engine bug where engine can't create "~" +
filename BackUp of opened stack in MC IDE.

5) Recently Ken and Richard made a cool discovery that by placing
"Home" and "McTools.mc" stacks into folder with  Rev IDE would launch
Rev engine in MC IDE. I tried and it worked with no noticeable
problems. While Jacque's solution is superior of course,  just curious,
for "quick and dirty" solution, any side effects for this way of
launching MC IDE that anybody noticed?

best regards
Tariel