Moving to MC 2.7

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Oct 20 22:44:16 CDT 2006

Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to set up to MC IDE 2.7.1 with latest Rev engine 2.7.4-gm-1
> following Ken's instructions in "building MC 2.7".
> I'm currently on OS 10.3.9 dual 1.8 PowerPC G5
>
> More or less successful but I have some glitches
>
> 1. Home stack lost it's icons. Reassigning icons would not help and the
> strange thing is that icons are appearing when mouse is down over the
> button and stay afterwards but are disappearing on next launch.

Did you add the startup script to the first card of your home stack?
That prevents the problem.

on startup
   if the version >= "2.7" then
     -- open stack "mctools.mc" -- for Windows
     start using stack "mctools.mc"
     set the defaultStack to "home"
     reset cursors
   end if
   pass startup
end startup

> Also after I built standalone (powerPC) the MC built in icons (from icon
> chooser) are disappearing in standalone as well (I moved MC icons via
> "resource mover" to would be standalone stack in advance)
> Not like I care much about MC built in icons, but just curious, Is it
> some kind of icon ID conflict? Home stack icons have  ID range from 330
> to 850. somebody had the same issue?

I haven't actually tried moving the MC icons into any stacks lately; I
don't use them much. But I can't think of anything in the new engine
that would prevent them from working as they did before.

> 2.  I moved engines from "Runtime" folder following Ken's instructions.
>
> "PowerPC-32" build was fine but button lost icon from MC icon chooser
> stack as I mentioned above

It sounds like the icons didn't get placed into your stack. If you get
no icon at all, that would be the problem. If you get a different icon
than you expected, then it is probably an ID conflict.

> "Universal" build fine but I can't launch it. It appears in dock
> momentarily but immediately quits.

There was a discussion on the list about this a while ago. Did you make
a special runtime application bundle and then build your standalone with
that?

>  Is it possible to move Rev windows runtime engine  (x86-32) as well and
> use it to build windows standalone with MC standalone builder 2.6 ?
> I should have tried first before asking but hope somebody would answer
> "yes" / "no" and save me time :)

I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. Seems like it should work.

>  Each Rev "runtime" folder has "Externals" folder with db drivers,
> speech, XML, revZip etc. Should this folder be moved as well and is it a
> way to include this externals in standalone using standalone builder ?

You can move that folder inside your standalone bundle and it should
work, but the Standalone Builder won't move it for you, you have to do
it manually. Your standalone should have its externals property set to
point to that folder.

>  how to get rid of  "version: 2.5, copyright 1992-2002 MetaCard
> corporation" in get info of standalone?
> I tried to edit pList file in standalone but nothing is changing

You did it right. The Finder gets all the info from the plist file. But
it does not always update its database right away, you have to force it
sometimes. One way to do this is to zip the standalone, throw away the
original, and then unzip the copy. When the unzipped copy appears, it
should show the edited information.

>  In my MetaCard 2.7 bundle I have empty folder "Resources Disabled"
> under "show package content"  inherited from MetaCard 2.6.6 bundle.
> And in standalone bundle under "show package content"  I also see empty
> folder "PlugIns Disabled"
> Is it "normal" ?

Yes, it's part of OS X. These appear if you enable/disable plugins from
the standalone's Get Info window in the OS X Finder. You should probably
leave everything enabled.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com