Moving to MC 2.7

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Sat Oct 21 17:27:26 CDT 2006

On  Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:44:16 -0500, J. Landman Gay wrote:

Thanks for tips jacque.

>> 1. Home stack lost it's icons. Reassigning icons would not help and
>> the
>> strange thing is that icons are appearing when mouse is down over the
>> button and stay afterwards but are disappearing on next launch.
>
> Did you add the startup script to the first card of your home stack?
> That prevents the problem.
>
> on startup
>    if the version >= "2.7" then
>      -- open stack "mctools.mc" -- for Windows
>      start using stack "mctools.mc"
>      set the defaultStack to "home"
>      reset cursors
>    end if
>    pass startup
> end startup

Yes, except I don't have "Pass startup" because a while ago you
advised me that while it would not harm it doesn't make sense to have
it in this case :)

  if the version >= "2.7" then
     start using stack "mctools.mc"
     if the platform <> "MacOS" then
       open stack "mctools.mc"
     end if
     set the defaultStack to "home"
     reset cursors
   end if

>> Also after I built standalone (powerPC) the MC built in icons (from
>> icon
>> chooser) are disappearing in standalone as well (I moved MC icons via
>> "resource mover" to would be standalone stack in advance)
>> Not like I care much about MC built in icons, but just curious, Is it
>> some kind of icon ID conflict? Home stack icons have  ID range from
>> 330
>> to 850. somebody had the same issue?
>
> I haven't actually tried moving the MC icons into any stacks lately; I
> don't use them much. But I can't think of anything in the new engine
> that would prevent them from working as they did before.

other than the ID's of the icons are in range from 330 to 850 and may
be new engine has now this range reserved?
Another strange thing is that in case of "Home" stack, after
reassigning icons they do appear but only after mouse is pushed down
over the icon, so it may be that something else is going on there.

>> 2.  I moved engines from "Runtime" folder following Ken's
>> instructions.
>>
>> "PowerPC-32" build was fine but button lost icon from MC icon chooser
>> stack as I mentioned above
>
> It sounds like the icons didn't get placed into your stack. If you get
> no icon at all, that would be the problem. If you get a different icon
> than you expected, then it is probably an ID conflict.

Before building PowerPC standalone I moved "icon chooser" sub stack to
my stack via "Resource Mover" and when opening this stack in MC 2.7 Dev
environment the icon shows up fine. But after I'm building standalone,
the icon is disappearing (no icon at all).

>> "Universal" build fine but I can't launch it. It appears in dock
>> momentarily but immediately quits.
>
> There was a discussion on the list about this a while ago. Did you make
> a special runtime application bundle and then build your standalone
> with
> that?

I hope so, I followed Ken's very clear instructions exactly and made
special runtime for UB using Rev's  runtime from "Universal" folder

>>  Is it possible to move Rev windows runtime engine  (x86-32) as well
>> and
>> use it to build windows standalone with MC standalone builder 2.6 ?
>> I should have tried first before asking but hope somebody would answer
>> "yes" / "no" and save me time :)
>
> I'm not sure, I haven't tried it. Seems like it should work.
>

>>  Each Rev "runtime" folder has "Externals" folder with db drivers,
>> speech, XML, revZip etc. Should this folder be moved as well and is
>> it a
>> way to include this externals in standalone using standalone builder ?
>
> You can move that folder inside your standalone bundle and it should
> work, but the Standalone Builder won't move it for you, you have to do
> it manually. Your standalone should have its externals property set to
> point to that folder.

OK, thanks for this info. It's probably more convenient to just build
standalone in Rev but  I wanted to avoid "Rev Junk" placed in my
standalone. Some of my stacks are "image intensive" and this 200 - 1000
millisecond speed difference that Wilhelm discovered would matter.

>>  how to get rid of  "version: 2.5, copyright 1992-2002 MetaCard
>> corporation" in get info of standalone?
>> I tried to edit pList file in standalone but nothing is changing
>
> You did it right. The Finder gets all the info from the plist file. But
> it does not always update its database right away, you have to force it
> sometimes. One way to do this is to zip the standalone, throw away the
> original, and then unzip the copy. When the unzipped copy appears, it
> should show the edited information.

I actually remembered this tip  and did zip / unzip but I'll try again.

>>  In my MetaCard 2.7 bundle I have empty folder "Resources Disabled"
>> under "show package content"  inherited from MetaCard 2.6.6 bundle.
>> And in standalone bundle under "show package content"  I also see
>> empty
>> folder "PlugIns Disabled"
>> Is it "normal" ?
>
> Yes, it's part of OS X. These appear if you enable/disable plugins from
> the standalone's Get Info window in the OS X Finder. You should
> probably
> leave everything enabled.

I never did enable / disable from Get info but what matters is that
it's a "normal thing " :)  thanks for tip

best regards
Tarik