Modified Script Editor

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Oct 3 16:46:58 CDT 2006

Ray Horsley wrote:
> Here's a good head scratcher.  The recent thread about upgrading to
> 2.7.4 was incentive for me to finally do so.  Everything went smoothly
> and I made various personal changes I prefer such as adding the keyboard
> shortcut command-E to the Script Editor so I can easily open the
> Variable Watcher during debugging.  Then when I used it, only in certain
> scripts, I got the error:
>
> Keys: Parameter is not a variable
>
> It appears the offending line in my script was:
>
>       set the decorations of stack "•Standards•" to title
>
> If I make "title" a literal, as in:
>
>       set the decorations of stack "•Standards•" to "title"
>
> I have no more problems, for the moment.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

I get this same error all the time, and Ken finally cleared it up for me
the other day. In your example, "title" is a reserved word in
Revolution, and without the quotes it is seen by the debugger as an
invalid variable name. Decorations are supposed to be in quotes anyway;
not putting them in quotes is handled in a forgiving fashion by the
engine in some cases but not in all.

In my case, I was using a variable called tExt (for storing the
extension of a file name) and the engine saw it as the word "text" --
also a reserved word and therefore not a variable.

Gotta watch those.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com