MC IDE: Passing the Poohbah torch and more (Richard Gaskin)

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Jun 23 03:56:57 CDT 2006

Hello Tariel,

> On  Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:22:56 -0700 Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> I've talked this over with Klaus Major via email, and he would be
>> willing to assume the role of Poohbah for the MC IDE project going
>> forward.
> Richard did exceptional job maintaining MC IDE. What I appreciated
> the most was that he was very careful to keep "purity" of MC IDE,
> his IDE changes were  "transparent"  in terms of no new IDE
> "behavior" or added complexity was introduced and most of  the
> changes were to just keep IDE compatible with new engines.
>
> I'm sure Klaus will continue this tradition and 6 changes he made
> in IDE so far were all excellent.

thank you very much!

> Long live new Poohbah ! :)

Hip, hip... ?

Can't hear you! :-D

>  At Thu, 22 Jun 2006 J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> The Font Chooser stack contains a list field for font names rather
>> than
>> a popup button. I've been using this privately for a while and I
>> like it
>> much better. Anyone who has as many fonts as I do will see the
>> advantages of a list, I think.
> SO much better. Thanks Jacque.

Yes, this is great.

>> I have also made some changes to the Preferences stack so that it now
>> supports a stackFileVersion preference. I could not think of a
>> suitable
>> way to change this setting on the fly, but the new stack does
>> allow you
>> to permanently set the preference, which will stay in effect until
>> you
>> change it. It checks for the engine version and is not effective
>> unless
>> the version is 2.7 or higher.
> Great.

Yep, much appreciated.

>> The message box size is too small for me to read comfortably. I've
>> already changed it in my own copy, but thought I'd mention it here to
>> see if the majority wants it to ship the old way or the new way. I'm
>> okay with just changing my own copy with each release if other people
>> like it as-is.
> Interesting. I can't see any change in msg box size between B12 and
> RC1 but I didn't replace my Home stack if it makes any difference
> (don't remember right now from which stack the msg box default size
> comes from)
>
> Speaking about sizes, I'm always changing the fonts and button
> sizes in  new MC IDE builds to accommodate to OS standards.
>
>  For OS 9 the standard font  is Geneva 10 and button size is w= 95
> and h= 22
>  For OS X the standard font is Lucida Grande 11 and button size is
> w = 82 and h= 23
>  For Win the standard font is Tahoma 11, don't remember standard
> button sizes
>
> So, may be it makes sense to put a small handler in PreOpenStack
> of  "mctools.mc" and "mchelp.mc" that would set the textfont and
> textsize of this stacks according to OS standards?

Can do, no problem!
Do you all agree?

> This way substacks   like "properties" or "control browser" would
> inherit TextFont and TextSise of the main stack and would look much
> better on all platforms.
>
> Concerning default object sizes (when you create a new object) Rev
> has it done very nicely in "Preferences / Object sizes"
> May be Klaus would consider to add such tab to MC IDE preferences
> stack and make it optional ?

Sure, could do, but probably won't since we create objects by
dragging them
on the card and not by Drag'n'Drop or doubleclicking the tool in the
palette,
something I still don't like very much in Rev.

So to implement these default sizes I would also have to change the
behaviour of the
tools palette, or did I oversee something?

> That's one of few features I personally like in Rev ID and I'm
> imitating it by setting default sizes in  "on NewButton", "On
> NewField" etc in script of stack Home.
> Also,   just to remind so this would not be lost in transition
> period :) ...  RC1 has libURL vs  1.1.4 and Dave Gragg posted vs
> 1.1.6 at
> " http://www.lacscentre.co.uk/liburl/releases.html"
>

> best regards
> Tariel