MetaCard and Rev 2.7 + engine

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Wed Jun 21 18:42:38 CDT 2006

Hi,

In case somebody is still dragging the feet on switching to Rev 2.7
engine, below is the critical tip from Jacque on necessary changes that
must be done to HOME stack

-----------
On February 14, 2006 Jacqueline Landman Gay  wrote:

Installing Revolution 2.7 into the MC IDE

  I think you need an Enterprise license for it to work:

Make these changes to an existing copy of the MC home stack (do this in
an earlier version, before trying to open 2.7):

on startup
   if the version >= "2.7" then
     start using stack "mctools.mc"
     set the defaultStack to "home"
     reset cursors
   end if
end startup

####
question to Jacque:  pass startup just in case?
####

on preOpenStack
     -- open stack "mctools.mc" -- don't need this for OS X; enable for
Windows
     <remainder of existing MC script here>
end preOpenStack

Here's the biggie now: Rename the mchome.mc stack to "home.rev".

----------------
On February 14, 2006 Mark Waddingham wrote

 > Here's the biggie now: Rename the mchome.mc stack to "home.rev".

There should be no need to do this. If the engine finds 'mchome.mc' at
the same level as the executable (Windows) or application bundle (OS X)
and you have an Enterprise License, this will be loaded in preference
to the Revolution home stack.

There should also be no need to license the engine in Revolution first
- the engine will ask for a license key the first time it is run,
regardless of where it is run from.

Indeed, with an MC IDE modified as Jacque explains, you should only
have to drop the Revolution engine into the existing MetaCard
distribution folder

Warmest Regards,
Mark.
--------------

You can replace the engine inside the MC app bundle as before, or you
can just drag a copy of the entire Rev app to the MC IDE folder.
However, one reason to replace the engine inside the bundle is if you
want to keep the MC icon in the dock so you can tell your copies apart.

For OS X users who have replaced the app inside the MC bundle: Open the
native Revolution bundle, open the Contents folder, and make a copy of
the Plugins folder. Open the MC bundle -> Contents folder, and drag in
the Plugins folder. This allows theme support; without it you will not
be able to set native "appearance manager" theme in stacks.

####
question to Jacque:  Considering Marks comment above,  is it still
necessary to move "PlugIn folder"?. Also, what about "resources" folder
inside the bundle? it has different content in Rev bundle and in
current MC bundle.
####

Double-click the app to launch. If you have previously registered 2.7
inside the Rev IDE then it works.

####
note: worked just fine for me,  Thanks Jacque  :)
####
-------------------

One more note about documentation...

-------------
Therefore, in 2.7.2 you will see an updated version of the
documentation designed to reduce the
number of small files that need to be installed. We hope that this will
reduce update/install times
to at most a few minutes regardless of platform.

(Incidentally, to pre-empt any concern over what might need to be done
to 3rd party apps that
rely on the documentation, we have encapsulated the access in a library
and all that will be
  required will be to replace direct access to the XML files with an
indirection through a function).

Anybody knows what this function name is, so we can access Rev help
system from MC ?

best regards
Tariel