MetaCard and Rev 2.7 + engine

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 21 21:50:24 CDT 2006

Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

> Make these changes to an existing copy of the MC home stack (do this in
> an earlier version, before trying to open 2.7):
>
> on startup
>   if the version >= "2.7" then
>     start using stack "mctools.mc"
>     set the defaultStack to "home"
>     reset cursors
>   end if
> end startup
>
> ####
> question to Jacque:  pass startup just in case?
> ####

It isn't necessary though it won't hurt if you do. Home is right before
the engine in the message hierarchy, so the only place the startup
message will go after this handler runs is to the engine, which will
just throw it away.

Backscripts do get messages after the Home stack and before the engine,
but they aren't open yet when a startup is sent. So passing the startup
message doesn't do anything in this case.

<snipping>
> ####
> question to Jacque:  Considering Marks comment above,  is it still
> necessary to move "PlugIn folder"?. Also, what about "resources" folder
> inside the bundle? it has different content in Rev bundle and in current
> MC bundle.

The resources and plugins folders are necessary. You should move the
entire Plugins folder into the MC app bundle. If you don't, you won't
have theme support and all your stacks will look like OS 9. It isn't so
necessary to move the resources folder unless you want foreign language
support in menus. The empty language folders can be moved to the MC
Resources folder if you want that. You should not move the icon files,
leave MC's icons as they are originally.

> ####
>
> Double-click the app to launch. If you have previously registered 2.7
> inside the Rev IDE then it works.
>
> ####
> note: worked just fine for me,  Thanks Jacque  :)
> ####

Good! Finally. :) For those not at RevCon, Tariel, Ken, and I went round
and round on this for a while. It was the Home stack script revision
that I had forgotten about, among other things.

> One more note about documentation...
>
> -------------
> Therefore, in 2.7.2 you will see an updated version of the documentation
> designed to reduce the
> number of small files that need to be installed. We hope that this will
> reduce update/install times
> to at most a few minutes regardless of platform.
>
> (Incidentally, to pre-empt any concern over what might need to be done
> to 3rd party apps that
> rely on the documentation, we have encapsulated the access in a library
> and all that will be
>  required will be to replace direct access to the XML files with an
> indirection through a function).
>
> Anybody knows what this function name is, so we can access Rev help
> system from MC ?

That part I don't know. Maybe someone else has explored and found it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com