First impression of Revolution IDE

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Thu Aug 31 15:01:18 CDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn of anything you find there that's
> attractive.  MC is getting old, and the more they make radical changes
> to the engine the harder it is to set up.  We can easily fix the setup
> stuff, but as my last question here was asking who wants a simpler
> setup
> and it went unreplied perhaps there's my answer on how much interest
> there is in this at all.

Oops, I missed that post and personally, I would greatly appreciate it,
you know that :)
I have a constant deficit of time and sometimes I'm skipping the whole
version because I can't find a free day to put it all together and
install new engine with all the tweaks required.

> Then again, we read of many complaints about the Rev IDE on the main
> list, and Galaxy/Consellation has quite a few followers, so it would
> seem there would be room for an open source alternative -- maybe.
>
> Rev-based IDEs address an ultra-tiny market that's already fragmented
> as
> it is.  I still can't get much work done in Rev, and I hear most of my
> clients curse as they use it, but if there's only three or four of us
> still using MC it does rather raise questions about the effort.

I think it's more than three or four of us, but the problem is that
almost no NEW people are switching to MC IDE and that's mostly because
of two reasons I think:

1. Newcomers to Rev and developers who are not satisfied with Rev ID,
just don't know about MC IDE alternative

     -- So, some mentioning and  "advertising" on Rev list may raise
their awareness.

Related to first point is that the last waive of HyperCard developers
are now switching to Intel Macs and they would feel much comfortable in
MC IDE IMHO.

2. There is no EASY way to switch unless you are subscribed on MC list
or have "insider" knowledge about all this tiny details of proper
installation.

    -- So, here your setup stuff would come as a great help

Related to second point is that if I'm not mistaken, you must own
password unlocked MC "Home" stack to be able to switch, so my question
is, assuming that now Rev engine "knows" about  "legality" of itself
may be we can put on Yahoo group  password unprotected "home" stack for
download or just provide password after Rev's "blessing" ?