Auto MC setup stuff

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Thu Aug 31 14:31:16 CDT 2006

Sorry, Richard, I did mean to reply in the affirmative: a one-click
solution for setting up MC would be welcome.
On 31-Aug-06, at 11:00 AM, metacard-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> It would be interesting to learn of anything you find there that's
> attractive.  MC is getting old, and the more they make radical changes
> to the engine the harder it is to set up.  We can easily fix the setup
> stuff, but as my last question here was asking who wants a simpler
> setup
> and it went unreplied perhaps there's my answer on how much interest
> there is in this at all.
>
> Then again, we read of many complaints about the Rev IDE on the main
> list, and Galaxy/Consellation has quite a few followers, so it would
> seem there would be room for an open source alternative -- maybe.
>
> Rev-based IDEs address an ultra-tiny market that's already
> fragmented as
> it is.  I still can't get much work done in Rev, and I hear most of my
> clients curse as they use it, but if there's only three or four of us
> still using MC it does rather raise questions about the effort.

I keep trying Rev, and I always end up back in MC for any real work.
Undoubtedly, at least some of my discomfort with Rev and preference
for MC is simple familiarity differences, but I suspect are large
part is general preference for simplicity and ``less is more''.  But
then, I don't build standalones, I just create and use stacks where
the integration of the IDE and the stacks is paramount.