Holy moley! First test of Revolution versus Metacard

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Thu Aug 31 09:04:36 CDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 6:57 AM, Shari wrote:

> Now that I have Revolution up and running and Metacard 2.7 up and
> running I thought I'd open my biggest fully finished project and
> see how it fared with both.
> The stack opens.  But the Revolution IDE does not like that I have
> standard stacks installed in the stack.  (For ease of Standalone
> building, a long time ago I installed custom versions of Ask,
> Answer, Message etc. in the stack so that I would not have to
> import them every time I built a standalone.)  The Message box in
> particular gives it fits.  I could not determine whether my
> password protections were still in place.  (The Message Box errors
> seemed to override most of what I tried to experiment with.)

Hi Shari,

When I need the standard stacks in my standalones, I make copies of
them and include the copies as substacks of my splash stack. Then on
startup, I rename the stacks with:

  if not(there is a stack "xxx") then set the name of stack "copy of
xxx" to "xxx"

This also makes a way for me to customize the appearance or behavior
of the standard stacks so they fit with my application.

But I'm curious, when would you need the message box in a finished
application? Rev's message box, with its extra features, would hardly
be suitable, though MetaCard's plain ole box would I suppose be more
neutral.

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.
    www.califexsoftware.com