Holy moley! First test of Revolution versus Metacard

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu Aug 31 06:57:54 CDT 2006

Now that I have Revolution up and running and Metacard 2.7 up and
running I thought I'd open my biggest fully finished project and see
how it fared with both.

With all the new additions to Revolution since my version, I thought
I'd work in Revolution for a little while to help me learn what new
goodies existed.  So I opened the existing, finished, happy stack in
Revolution.

The goal was to create a UB standalone from an existing stack.

The stack opens.  But the Revolution IDE does not like that I have
standard stacks installed in the stack.  (For ease of Standalone
building, a long time ago I installed custom versions of Ask, Answer,
Message etc. in the stack so that I would not have to import them
every time I built a standalone.)  The Message box in particular
gives it fits.  I could not determine whether my password protections
were still in place.  (The Message Box errors seemed to override most
of what I tried to experiment with.)

Overall it was rather confusing, not having a clue how to approach
things that are second nature to me.  There were so many standalone
options, and I could not tell if it recognized any of my presettings,
it was very confusing.  I assumed that once familiar with it,
standalones would be easier to build as there appeared to be more
presettings that could be set.

But at this time, too much confusion, so I opened the happy stack in
the newly created Metacard 2.7 IDE.

Familiarity returned.  No weird errors regarding things I have pre-installed.

I really was looking forward to working in Revolution itself.  But at
least for existing, finished projects, it's a good thing I can work
in the familiar IDE.

Perhaps I can try working on my new project in Revolution, and work
on existing projects in Metacard.  The new project should be in the
early enough stages not to send it into spasms.

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com