Metacard IDE installation

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Aug 30 07:30:34 CDT 2006

Hi Shari,

>> 5. you are ready to use MC 2.7.x, after updating the engine inside
>> the app package!
>
> I need more explicit instructions (sheepish grin).

OK, I will write very, very slowly ;-)

Here we go:
1. Create a folder "MC 2.7" or whatever,

> I am starting with a virgin new copy of just downloaded Revolution,
> v.2.7.3.
> I downloaded two MC IDE files notated v2.7:
>
> mctools.mc
> mchelp.mc

2. Put these files into that folder.

> I do not have an older version of Metacard that will open any of
> the newer files.
> My old Metacard would not open a Rev Home stack to save it's soul.

You have to edit the MChome! stack with your old and icensed copy of
MetaCard,
as described earlier!

3. Copy that EDITED stack "mchome.mc" into the above mentioned folder

> We tried with Revzilla the other day.  Old Metacard 2.4.3 no likey
> new files.  I did just attempt to edit the Home stack script from
> within Revolution, and it threw up an Enter Password dialog.  I
> have not set any passwords.

Please leave REV (mostly) untouched for making MC run!

> Sooo... I may not have access to the Home stack script.

You said you have an old and LICENSED copy of MetaCard, didn't you?
Then you CAN edit your MChome stack!

> This doesn't kill my chances of using the MC IDE, does it?
> I did not request a special MC license key as I've heard mentioned
> before, as I was under the impression that the new version did not
> need this extra key. Should I be requesting this key after all?
> Also:
> What do I do with the mctools.mc and mchelp.mc files?  Do I just
> drop these files into the Toolset folder?

See above. You will end with two different and INDEPENDENT applications!

> How do I set it up to use both Rev and MC IDES?

4. Copy the OLD "MetaCard.app" into the above mentioned folder.
5. Copy the engine from the REV 2.7.x package into the MC package in the
above mentioned folder. See instruction on the YAHOO website.

> To be able to switch back and forth?

Now you have 2 (two) different apps!, you can only switch using the
dock!

> I surfed several websites of the Revolution gurus.  I searched the
> Metacard mailing list archives, too.  I did not find instructions
> that answered these questions.  There were some messages dated
> 2003, but I did not know if 3 year old messages were still valid to
> the newer versions.

Please tell me if these instructions do not work for you.

> Shari
> --
> Mac and Windows shareware games
> http://www.gypsyware.com