CGI and DestroyStack property

LiangTyan Fui mlist at afteroffice.com
Thu Apr 27 21:13:32 CDT 2006

On Apr 28, 2006, at 9:50 AM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> Tariel,
>
> I have. What I did was originally based on some of Pierre's
> comments that you referenced.
> Basically, you leave the MC stack running normally, and you
> communicate with it via PHP and sockets.

It is rather crud to use PHP -> socket -> MC.
The MC socket port listening method is not robust enough, and may
went deaf under some loads.

> You'll need to install a PHP script such as this one as the
> intermediary:
> http://istream.homeunix.com/insead/page4_en.html
>
> Then you need mostly the first two handlers from here:
> http://istream.homeunix.com/insead/page5_en.html
>
> The PHP scripts will pass the POST args to your stack, which then
> sends back an HTTP reply. This definitely works - if you have
> specific questions, I may be able to answer them also.

You don't have to use PHP to handle the browser POST queries. We have
pure MC CGI written to handle POST running for years without problem.

Unless you need to MC running as daemon explicitly, I don't see the
need of PHP here.

>> Basically, it would be great to know if anybody succeeded in
>> making MC CGI stay-resident on OS X (I don't have linux box) and
>> thus preventing  engine quitting  after CGI script is executed and
>> launching the new copy of the engine on each call.

We managed to run a full MetaCard in graphic mode, and install a
"acgi dispatcher" (http://www.sentman.com/acgi/) to emulated
AppleEvent from Apache back to MetaCard, just like the old OS 9 days
- but that's very different animal mind you.