Free RR 2.2.1 from Novell

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sun Nov 6 02:40:01 CST 2005

Ho, Ho, Ho . . .

I hope I didn't imply that NOVELL are giving away Free SUSE
with RR - if they are it's news to me.

What NOVELL are giving away are FREE licensed versions of
RR 2.2.1 for Linux - and at present I am fiddling about
with it (the SOUND, the SOUND, the SOUND) using UBUNTU
Linux 5.10 which is a really super system - and really
breathes life into the 6 Pentium 3 600 MHz, 128 RAM boxes I
have bought for my language school. As I keep saying - RR
is lovely on Ubuntu, EXCEPT I can see myself cussing and
swearing (surely not?) over xanim - an extremely antiquated
"thingy" which RR on Linux seems to still rely on to
implement sound. But a language school with silent programs
would be a standing joke!

On the NOVELL website there's a series of fantastic
articles by a chap who calls himself "Stomfi" on all sorts
of clever things to do with Linux and RR.

IF you want to spin off Standalones, however, the NOVELL-RR
2.2.1 comes with no engines in COMPONENTS folder so you
will either have to download them while you build a
standalone (a real fiddle) or just transfer them there from
a WIN or MAC version of RR.

Of course (I hope you are reading this, Heather & Co.) it
would be a bit naughty to use the FREE Novell RR to spin
off standalones for anything but Linux --- however, I am
not the keeper of anybody else's conscience - which is a
relief really.

What is reALLY VERY INTERESTING IF YOU STUDY THE COURSE OF
REVOLUTIONS (The French and the Russian are particularly
instructive) is how the original revolutionaries always get
swept aside by more radical forces. Danton and Co. all
ended up with their heads in baskets.

Why I wrote that I will never work out . . . Ho, Ho, Ho.

Sincerely, Richmond Mathewson
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html