Unique computer id

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Thu Jul 21 09:24:07 CDT 2005

Okay, here is the verdict.  I created a stack with one button, so
that the person having the problem could run this with the internet
on, and off, and send me a report to compare the two.

With the internet on, Test Three produced several lines of info,
including the Physical Address.  Test One produced the desired info.

With the internet off, Test Three produced one line of text.
"Windows IP Configuration".  That was it.  Test One was empty,
accordingly.

Test Two worked in both instances, producing the same info.  My
conclusion is that Test Two is more stable.  Although in reading thru
the archives, there seemed to be a question about the stability of
such info.

As the problem seems only to happen on Windows, I did not test Mac
with this test.  Far as I know, the Mac OSX code is stable (stable
meaning it gets some unique computer info on pretty much any OSX
system, and does not return "Nope".)  I have no code for Mac PPC.  If
anyone does, I'd love to have it.

### Mac OSX code ###

put shell("/sbin/ifconfig en0") into ifConfigs
       if char 1 to 4 of ifConfigs = "zsh:" then
         return "Nope"
       else
         get matchText(ifconfigs,"(?s)ether (.*?) ",getInfo) # These
are spaces on either side of (.*?)
         if it is false then
           return "Nope"
         end if
### end Mac OSX code ###

### The code in the button of the test stack sent to the user: ###

on mouseUp
   global checklist
   put firstTest() into testOne
   put secondTest("C") into testTwo
   put thirdTest() into testThree

   put the short date & return & the abbreviated time & return &
return into checklist
   put "Test One" & return & base64encode(testOne) & return & return
after checklist
   put "Test Two" & return & return & base64encode(testTwo) after checklist
   put "Test Three" & return  & base64encode(testThree) after checklist

   put the effective filename of this stack into theFile
   set the itemDel to "/"
   put "checklist.txt" into the last item of theFile
   open file theFile for write
   write checklist to file theFile
   close file theFile

   answer "Checklist file has been created."

end mouseUp

function firstTest
   local checkpointCharley
   put (there is a file (specialFolderPath("system") &
"/IPCONFIG.EXE")) into winExists
   put (there is a file (specialFolderPath("system") &
"/SYSTEM32/IPCONFIG.EXE")) into sys32Exists
   if winExists or sys32Exists then
     put "EXISTS" & return after checklist
     set the hideConsoleWindows to true
     put shell("ipconfig /all") into temp
     get matchText(temp,"Physical Address[\. ]*:
([A-Z0-9-]*)",checkpointCharley)
   else
     put "Default" & return after checklist
     return "Default"
   end if
   return checkpointCharley
end firstTest

function secondTest driveCharley
   local checkpointJoe
   put char 1 of driveCharley & ":" into pDisk
   set the hideConsoleWindows to true
   put shell("dir " & pDisk) into tDirData
   get matchText(tDirData,"Volume Serial Number is (.*)\n",checkpointJoe)
   if it is true then
     return checkpointJoe
   else if it is empty then
     return "Empty"
   else
     return "Other"
   end if
end secondTest

function thirdTest
   local checkpointMajor
   put (there is a file (specialFolderPath("system") &
"/IPCONFIG.EXE")) into winExists
   put (there is a file (specialFolderPath("system") &
"/SYSTEM32/IPCONFIG.EXE")) into sys32Exists
   if winExists or sys32Exists then
     set the hideConsoleWindows to true
     put shell("ipconfig /all") into checkpointMajor
   end if
   return checkpointMajor
end thirdTest

### end test code ###