Unique computer id

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Jul 21 09:49:05 CDT 2005

On 7/21/05 9:24 AM, "Shari" <shari at gypsyware.com> wrote:

> Test Two worked in both instances, producing the same info.  My
> conclusion is that Test Two is more stable.  Although in reading thru
> the archives, there seemed to be a question about the stability of
> such info.

Well, AFAIK what you're getting is two different pieces of information. In
Test One and Test Three, you're getting the MAC Address from the installed
network interface card (NIC), and in Test Two, you're getting the serial
number of the hard disk.

One thing to keep in mind with getting MAC Addresses - a person may have
more than one, especially if they have both a standard Ethernet NIC as well
as a card for wireless network connections (like I do). So when I do
IPCONFIG /all, I get *two* line items that say "Physical Address".

And since it is more likely that cards will be removed/replaced than hard
drives, I'd stick with getting the hard disk serial number (with all the
appropriate caveats, of course).

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/