Saving SA settings (was: Planned changes for b9)

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat Jan 22 13:39:04 EST 2005

Hi Hugh,

> >> Well...no. I'd rather see the text file. In general, I don't like
> the
> >> IDE messing around with my stacks. Chances are good that I will open
> >> up a stack later on, see a property I don't remember putting there,
> >> not know what it is for, and not know what to do with it. I don't
> >> like when that happens. I don't mind loading a text file though, and
> >> I think this would be a handy feature. Right now I do the same
> thing,
> >> only I keep the settings all together in a stack I made just for
> that
> >> purpose.
>
> My original suggestion was to store standAlone settings as a
> customProperty of the standAlone builder, NOT the target stack.

Sorry, i misunderstood you in this point...

> I completely agree with Richard (and probably everyone else) that the
> SA should not modify the target stack.

Sure, that's probably one of the reasons we all prefer MC ;-)

> Whether settings are stored as a customproperty or as a series of
> cards, I don't mind, so long as I can choose
> past settings without having to re-type the all each time!

But that would require that the "Version Info" (and thus "mctools")
stack would have to be
saved every time, something i woul like to avoid...

Would someone mind if i create a "MCIDE" folder in the prefs folder on
your HD and save all infos there
in a text file or stack?

specialfolderpath("preferences") -> Mac
specialfolderpath("35") -> Win 2000/XP
specialfolderpath("system") -> Win 95-99
$HOME -> *NIX ?
Please advice if there is a better place on *NIX"!

Then i could provide some menus/buttons in the "Version Info" stack...

What do you all think?

Proposals for the UI for this one?
Menu for all saved settings?
Ask the user for the name for the setting?

Things are getting more complex than i thought :-D

> /H

Regards

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de