Saving SA settings (was: Planned changes for b9)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Jan 22 07:35:10 EST 2005

Klaus Major wrote:

>> Whether settings are stored as a customproperty or as a series of
>> cards, I don't mind, so long as I can choose
>> past settings without having to re-type the all each time!
>

> But that would require that the "Version Info" (and thus "mctools")
> stack would have to be
> saved every time, something i woul like to avoid...
>
> Would someone mind if i create a "MCIDE" folder in the prefs folder on
> your HD and save all infos there
> in a text file or stack?
>
> specialfolderpath("preferences") -> Mac
> specialfolderpath("35") -> Win 2000/XP
> specialfolderpath("system") -> Win 95-99
> $HOME -> *NIX ?
> Please advice if there is a better place on *NIX"!
>
> Then i could provide some menus/buttons in the "Version Info" stack...
>
> What do you all think?

Klaus,
Your proposal is definitely the way to go. Saving as an extra card is
never a good idea unless the card is used only as a storage file and is
seperate from the business end of the prefs. That way, you can throw
away the prefs stack file and the 'business-end' will create a new one
and save it.

Storing the standalone prefs as XML soundls like a pretty good idea.

best,

Chipp