Program won't open

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sat Feb 26 16:23:03 EST 2005

Every so often I get a bug report that someone tried to launch the
program, and it wouldn't launch.  More of a blink while it flashed on
the dock or something, but never actually opened.

I finally took a moment to follow up on one of these reports, after
he told me he had a firewall and Norton's antivirus on his computer.

I created a blank program that does two things when it launches:  it
creates a text file in the Preferences folder, and it creates a text
file in the game folder.  That's it.

No code to conflict with anything, just testing to see if the program
creating a text file somewhere would prevent it from launching on
some computers.

Apparently so, because I uploaded the program and sure enough, he
couldn't launch it.

If anyone is interested, the program is at:

http://www.gypsyware.com/downloads/TestLaunch.sit

It's a standalone, as otherwise it wouldn't have been a proper test
(and he would have needed MC to open it :-)

I'm assuming that either the virus protection or the firewall doesn't
like programs to create files.  But the odd thing is, most programs
do create at least a Prefs file in the Prefs folder.

Any thoughts?

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games