Bizarre 2: On XP answer file command sometimes hangs

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 21:44:31 EDT 2004

On 4 Oct 2004, at 16:38, Huisingh, Larry R wrote:

> I believe this is just a slight clarification but what is probably
> happening
> as far as the Task Manager is concerned is that when you click "Switch
> To"
> Windows is giving control to the program in question.  Normally, when a
> program comes to the foreground it is responsible to refresh the
> screen in
> the area where the previous program window was displayed.  If a
> program is
> hung it doesn't get around to redrawing its screen area and the
> previous
> screen is left still showing.  In other words, Task Manager is not
> hung but
> the program you are trying to switch to is hung.
>
> Is it possible that there is another window or dialog box that is
> trying to
> get input so it looks like the program isn't responding?  Try Alt-Esc
> to see
> if there are some other screens waiting for input or if there is a
> hidden
> error message.
>
> Larry Huisingh

Thanks for the suggestions.

But it looks like the Task Manager really is hung. I said "Switch To"
but I meant "Bring To Front". If I try to Bring To Front for the
"phony" app, nothing happens. When I then click in the Task Manager's
close box, I get the system error message "End Program - Windows Task
Manager ... This program is not responding, etc...." message.

Also, I just noticed that if I wait 10 minutes after clicking the
button that calls "answer file", the file selection dialog will appear.
During that time, CPU activity is between 0% and 1%, (if I can trust
the Task Manager :)).

I think I may have to give up on this. I've noticed some other odd
behavior on the system, and I think it may be time for a drive format
and a re-install.

Cheers
Dave