Bizarre 2: On XP answer file command sometimes hangs

Huisingh, Larry R Larry_R_Huisingh at RL.gov
Tue Oct 5 10:56:14 EDT 2004

> On 4 Oct 2004, at 16:38, Huisingh, Larry R wrote:
>
> > I believe this is just a slight clarification but what is probably
> > happening as far as the Task Manager is concerned is that when you
> > click "Switch To"
> > Windows is giving control to the program in question.
> Normally, when
> > a program comes to the foreground it is responsible to refresh the
> > screen in the area where the previous program window was
> displayed.
> > If a program is hung it doesn't get around to redrawing its screen
> > area and the previous screen is left still showing.  In
> other words,
> > Task Manager is not hung but the program you are trying to
> switch to
> > is hung.
> >
> > Is it possible that there is another window or dialog box that is
> > trying to get input so it looks like the program isn't responding?
> > Try Alt-Esc to see if there are some other screens waiting
> for input
> > or if there is a hidden error message.
> >
> > Larry Huisingh
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> But it looks like the Task Manager really is hung. I said "Switch To"
> but I meant "Bring To Front". If I try to Bring To Front for
> the "phony" app, nothing happens. When I then click in the
> Task Manager's close box, I get the system error message "End
> Program - Windows Task Manager ... This program is not
> responding, etc...." message.
>
> Also, I just noticed that if I wait 10 minutes after clicking
> the button that calls "answer file", the file selection
> dialog will appear.
> During that time, CPU activity is between 0% and 1%, (if I
> can trust the Task Manager :)).
>
> I think I may have to give up on this. I've noticed some
> other odd behavior on the system, and I think it may be time
> for a drive format and a re-install.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Have you done a scan for spyware/adware (different from viruses)?  Do you
have a network share/FTP site normally connected that at this time is not
connected and the system is waiting for a response before the dialog comes
up?  I'm just grasping at straws.

Does this behavior happen on other machines?  If not, then there is
something about yours that is out of whack.  An OS reinstall may be in
order.

Larry Huisingh