MetaCard icon

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue May 4 18:28:13 EDT 2004

>>>Working on engine 2.6 with 2.6b4 IDE
>>>When I make a standalone on Mac Classic, I get the original MC icon
>>>writing "APPL" in the "Creator" box.
>>>When on Windows XP the Revolution icon appears automatically. Is there a
>>>way to get the MC icon without having to buy a .ico program?
>>
>>The ico is embedded in the engine, so to overwrite it you'll need to
>>supply another ico in the Standalone Builder.
>>
>>v2.6 now supports a wider range of icon depths for Win32, so maybe one of
>>the folks here will be able to put together a nifty ico package
>to send you.
>>
>>But better still would be your own custom icon.  There are plenty of
>>ico-generating tools available with trial periods sufficient for a single
>>icon, and for most the fee is low enough to make it a good bargain (after
>>paying $995 for a development system; I bought Axialis IconWorkshop for
>>$35 and have been very pleased with it:
>><http://www.axialis.com/iconworkshop/index.html>).
>
>Thanks Richard for the reply, you seem to be awake at all hours of the day
>and night!
>For the time being I do not need other icons than the old ones. I can live
>with either the nice new Rev icon or the old MC one. However, I was
>wondering whether I had overlooked something since the MC IDE did not
>supply the same icon on the two platforms (that is - why did not the
>MetaCard icon appear automatically on Windows as well?). Will you fix this
>sooner or later?

The XP style icons are a bit tricky so I'd suggest not messing with it.
Given you don't distribute an engine it seems a non-issue. If you must have
all icons the same for all platforms I would suggest the simplest thing
would be to go the other way and have everyone user the rev icons. Hey, you
could always rename MetaCard to something starting with R ;-) Or emphasise
the R in MetaCard (metacaRd) ;-P

Cheers

Monte