IDE and libUrl

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 12:43:37 EDT 2004

Hi all

First, apologies for not making a bigger contribution to the IDE. (weak
excuses about other commitments, new dog ate my e-mail, etc.)  As an
almost full-time user of the IDE, I'm grateful to everyone involved,
and especially the great poohbah.

Of course, there have been times when it looked like the whole IDE
might fall prey to creeping eye candy (that modernistic splash screen
for example, and older users probably think things started going south
when the image icon changed some years back, was that you Rossi?
<grin>).

Anyway, to more serious things...

The version of libUrl (1.1a3) currently being distributed with the Rev
2.5 beta (engine 2.6.1) is not backwards compatible with earlier
engines. This is because of syntax added to support secure sockets in
https URLs. I plan to make future updaters aware of the engine version,
and install the appropriate version. However, this might not be enough
to keep confusion away.

I'm not sure if the plan is to release new MC IDEs with each engine
release (if so, then there mau be no problem), but I'm guessing people
are hoping to be able to use the same IDE over a range of engine
releases. There could be problems if people swap engines about
liberally without being sure to have an appropriate version of libUrl
in place.

I can't think of an easy way round this problem right now. But if
anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Cheers
Dave