MC-REV Event similar to AppleEvent?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 21 16:56:38 EST 2004

>  > What is the benefit of parsing an event rather than handling them
>directly?
>
>I need to be able to update a stack/card script in a standalone, and I
>cannot because of the limit imposed. The stack script contains (mostly)
>typical handlers (i.e. openStack, resumeStack, etc.) for handling messages
>that are sent to the stack. If I had a 'single' handler in the script that
>could handle 'all' stack messages, I 'might' be able to update the script
>because the size of the script would be greatly reduced. I really wish
>RunRev would allow 'some' things in a stand-alone for licensed users, or a
>special license for increasing the script limit 'just a litlle'.

Yah, tough problem. I have been trying to find a way to increase
those limits but no luck so far. Last year, Kevin posted to this list
that they may consider some special licencing, but there was no
follow up. I guess they can't justify making their operation more
complicated on account of a few users.

On the other hand, I am not clear how having a single event will help
you with the limits. If you can break down the scripts into
functional chunks, then you can stuff them into a series of buttons
or fields (hidden) and call them as needed. If you are after updating
standalone-controlled stacks, it may be easier to make another
standalone that opens the stack and modifies it. The standalone self
can't be modified.

Robert Brenstein