MC-REV Event similar to AppleEvent?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 21 08:19:49 EST 2004

RCS wrote:

>> What is the benefit of parsing an event rather than handling them
> directly?
>
> I need to be able to update a stack/card script in a standalone, and I
> cannot because of the limit imposed.

Actually, you can't because of OS restrictions in Win and UNIX which prevent
a running EXE from being modified.  (The Mac version of Rev follows suit for
consistency).

> The stack script contains (mostly)
> typical handlers (i.e. openStack, resumeStack, etc.) for handling messages
> that are sent to the stack. If I had a 'single' handler in the script that
> could handle 'all' stack messages, I 'might' be able to update the script
> because the size of the script would be greatly reduced. I really wish
> RunRev would allow 'some' things in a stand-alone for licensed users, or a
> special license for increasing the script limit 'just a litlle'.

Write them.  In a discussion on this subject last summer they noted that
they can be quite flexible in crafting licenses for special cases.

But considering that even a special license will not allow a standalone to
write to itself, why not simply include a Components folder with your app
and put stack files in there?  You could load those with "start using" to
have them act as libraries.

See
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/revolution_message_path.html>
for more info on using libraries.

Alternatively you could move everything out of your stack except for the
splash screen into a Components folder for easy updating.

>> You could, for example, have a frontScript
>
> Since I already have a few 'idle' handlers running, I really did not want to
> add another...especially one that parses 'everything'! Things are a little
> sluggish as it is...

Idle should not be related to other events -- how are you using it?  Use
idle with caution:  it's a CPU hog, with timers providing wha you need in
most cases but much more efficiently.

>> That's an invalid address, requiring hand-editing.  Odd.
>> Who's the list mom for this list?
>
> I am starting to feel like an 'abandoned child' on this list (or at least
> the uncle that everyone is ashamed to talk about)...also, (maybe it is just
> me though) any message I post to the 'RunRev' list does not go through.
>
> I can take a hint ;-)

I don't think it's you, I think it's something with the list configuration.
This oddness seemed to start when the Rev mail server was updated.