* Re: Plugins menu (was: Re: Speaking of IDE Updates)

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Jan 2 23:22:32 EST 2004

After sending my last post I see that Richard had already provided an answer. I had written:

>Considering the summative length of the scripts, my script - exclusively
>contained in button "Plugins" - seems to be the leanest, but probably
>there are reasons for Richard to choose a different approach -
>circumventing problems I do not see? Richard?

And Richard had replied to my first post:

>Great work, Wilhelm.
>
>I modified your version with the following changes:
>
>- Added a new function to the MC backscript:
>
>  function PluginsFolder
>    put the filename of stack "mctools.mc" into tPath
>    set the itemdel to "/"
>    put "Plugins/" into last item of tPath
>    if there is not a folder tPath then create folder tPath
>    return tPath
>  end PluginsFolder
>
>  This allows any stack to get the name of the Plugins folder
>  easily.  This version does not assume that the current directory
>  is still the default value, building the fill path instead.
>  Rather than alert of an error this version creates a plugins
>  folder is one isn't present.
>
>  Questions:
>
>     - Should it create the folder autimatically, throw an error,
>       or ask the user if it should create one?
>
>     - Should functions in MC' backscript be prefixed with "mc"?

As you put a function "pluginsfolder" into the script of btn "Newobj" I think it would be preferable that a folder should be created.
Yes to the second question.

>- Moved the stuff from the Plugins menu's mouedown handler into
>  the menu group so it'll be triggered on Mac.
>

>- If no plugins are in the folder, rather have than no menu at
>  all it has one diabled item, "None"
>
>  Question:  Should that be more descriptive, some think
>  "No plugins installed", or would that be too verbose?

Seems to be a question of the length of the menu item, maybe shorter "No plugins" ?

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke