Open Source Licence (LGPL or GPL)

David Bovill david at anon.nu
Wed Sep 10 17:50:01 EDT 2003

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> After reading all the responses, I'm going to vote for this. It seems to
> me that public domain is the easiest solution, doesn't require any
> special handling, allows anyone to do anything without legal
> entanglments, and is just generally easier to manage. So I vote for
> public domain.

Public Domain (MIT licence) is a good option. Ian Gordon has suggested
ways of encouraging people to contibute code back to the main fork if
they download form the 'official' site - which seems promising.

> Yahoo Groups is a convenient, accessible, free, and neutral option.
> People can upload files and anyone can get them. It provides a place for
> discussion or mailing lists if we want them, but doesn't require we use
> those features. It allows easy transfer of moderatorship from one person
> to another if the current Poobah decides to hand the reins to someone
> else. So what about Yahoo?

I'm for hosting a new neutral and open site with MC CGI scripting and
direct MC ftp access - adding proper secure moderated Sourceforge
backend for official releases - when we get to that stage.

A Yahoo site could get us up and running and I'm not totally against
that - we just can't integrate it properly into the MC environment. I
really don't like switching back and forth between MC and email /
browser stuff - and you cannot integrate the MC IDE into Yahoo groups
(I've tried:).

I would really like to see a web site properly integrated into this
project and would be prepared to cough up and set it up ( a few paypal
donations would help :) I'd then set up a scripted submission from this
web site to the Sourceforge CVS (which would be permament, secure and
free). Ideally if this proved a useful service RunRev would contribute
(to) the hosting costs.