Open Source Licence (LGPL or GPL)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Sep 10 16:44:00 EDT 2003

On 9/10/03 3:03 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> If Scott's not interested in picking a license I'm inclined to advocate
> public domain.

After reading all the responses, I'm going to vote for this. It seems to
me that public domain is the easiest solution, doesn't require any
special handling, allows anyone to do anything without legal
entanglments, and is just generally easier to manage. So I vote for
public domain.

> SourceGorge doesn't deem common FTP to be worthy, requiring CVS. Ugh.
> Anyone know a good CVS client for OS X?

I had never been to SourceForge, so I took a look yesterday. I think the
lack of ftp access is a big drawback, and I think that if we are
required to find a CVS client (which may not even exist for OS X users,
I don't know) and get everything set up with the requirements CVS
expects (public keys, encryption, whatever) that we will discourage
people from participating. It will be too much work for anyone except
those who are especially committed to the project, mostly because of the
effort it takes before one can even access the group. I think we want to
encourage casual participation, whether that means just uploading a
contribution on the spur of the moment or downloading a file on a whim.
Easy is good. Open is good.

Yahoo Groups is a convenient, accessible, free, and neutral option.
People can upload files and anyone can get them. It provides a place for
discussion or mailing lists if we want them, but doesn't require we use
those features. It allows easy transfer of moderatorship from one person
to another if the current Poobah decides to hand the reins to someone
else. So what about Yahoo?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com