No subject

Thu Oct 16 04:16:34 EDT 2003

   MetaCard is very good at exposing bugs in the drivers for graphics
   cards.  These problems seem to be most frequent in Windows 98, but
   can plague any Windows system.  The most common symptom are images
   or cursors that draw in the wrong colors or with the mask and data
   reversed, and bits of windows left on the screen when they are
   closed.  Be sure you have the latest drivers from the vendor of your
   graphics card.  If the problem still exists with those, try turning
   acceleration to its lowest level.  If that doesn't fix the problem
   (or even if it does), please report this bug to the vendor of your
   graphics card.

While that may sound flip, after shipping and supporting Windows products
based on MC for more than five years I can say that I've never yet
encountered such an error that wasn't corrected by updating the drivers.

Yes, customers are looking for a quick fix and hate stuff like that, with
comebacks like "But all of my other apps work fine."  In most cases, those
"other aps" turn out to be Microsoft products, potentially using a very
different API from the one they publish.

Another comeback is "But this is a new machine."  A "new" machine may be six
months old, once you consider the time it takes to assemble it, load the
drive, ship it through the channels, and clear it off the shelf.  Meanwhile,
driver programmers are constantly uopdating their drivers.

Bottom line:  if the driver is bug-free, there is no update available.  If
there is an update, the old one has bugs and should be replaced.  It's at
least worth the 5 minutes it takes to try it. :)