Web programming tools

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu May 1 14:10:02 EDT 2003

Hi Mark,

I've been developing different Web Apps for a number of years
now...frequently I use RR as a client tier.

When using RR, I typically post data to .asp pages (just as easy with .php
or .jsp) which in turn 'encapsulate' most of the business logic and talk
directly to the database (SQL Server 2000 or mySQL) through a custom DB
connector (in our case a simple VB COM object). This works great as I can
easily change the different parts of the app easily.

For instance, by creating a new DB connector, I can change databases. If I
want to change from .asp to .php, all I need to worry about it the business
logic, not the display of it and a single global (gServerPageExtension)
changes all the calls from .asp to .php. (as an added benefit, you don't
have to worry about session variables and your web app can be 'stateless'.)

Also, I can rewrite the front end outside of RunRev as a set of .asp pages
as well. DHTML and javascript *can* be included, but I prefer to keep both
of them to a minimum so as to create multi browser/platform compatibility.

A problem area with using RR or MC as client is the inability to do SSL (for
now) and getting through proxy servers. You'll need to check early regarding
the spec for you project to see if either of these would be an issue. The
proxy server issue *has* been solved to some degree, but I know we're still
dealing with some particularly nasty firewall/proxy server combos.

If you're just starting out...I think I'd cut my teeth on the LAMP solution
Dan mentioned, as it's *free* and very powerful. Plus, it doesn't change as
much or as often as .asp.net or whatever their calling it now (and who knows
how much MS will end up charging for it?)

I haven't really spent any time with the MC CGI, though others here have.
I'm waiting for some downtime to play around with it;-)

hope this helps,

Chipp