Web programming tools

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu May 1 23:03:01 EDT 2003

Hi Mark

I'd support the approach Andu takes "use Apache + MC cgis + html templates +
sqlite as database with great success". I'd add the merge suggestion from
Richard to help with the html templates. I haven't used sqlite though.

I've developed a form router in MC CGI so that I have only 1 cgi file that
routs each request to the stack and function specified in the form
parameters. That way all my business logic is in stacks. I also have a soap
router that does something similar.

It works like this:

 - formrouter.cgi gets a post or get request
 - formrouter.cgi then reads parameters into an array
 - formrouter.cgi checks the stackfile parameter (relative file path) and
loads the stack as a library
 - formrouter.cgi checks the message parameter and calls it as a function
with the array as a parameter
 - the function executes and returns an array
 - formrouter.cgi checks the html parameter, reads the file in and does a
merge then returns the completed web page to the web server

That's it. The neat thing is that soaprouter.cgi can access the same
business logic.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Monte