2 upgrades are guaranteed

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Fri Jul 11 15:45:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> RCS wrote:
>
> > I don't think this has been discussed enough. As someone
> > who just paid $300 for :
> >
> > "free access to all MetaCard updates that are released or go to
> > beta within that 1 year period. At least 2 upgrades are guaranteed
> > to be released within the duration of each subscription."
> >
> > i feel like this is being swept under the rug. We need an official
> > response so we can decide our course of action.
> >
> > What about the bugs that still exist? What if Apple's 'Panther' breaks
> > something?
>
> That's a good question.  One of the reasons Scott has such a rabidly loyal
> following is that he's quite speedy with the incremental upgrades (e,g.,
> 2.4.2 to 2.4.3), but generally only enforces a reg key change with a major
> version chage (e.g., 2.4.3 to 2.5).
> Will RunRev change this long-established practice?

I think you can expect Runtime Revolution to be a little tighter about
this than MetaCard Corporation was.  But there should be at least a
couple more engine releases that current MetaCard subscribers will be
able to use (e.g., 2.5.1 is already in alpha test).  You will have to
download and install the new versions RR to get those updated engines
to use with MetaCard, however.  And of course you'll need to download
the MC UI from someplace else if it turns out to need changes due to
the engine updates.

There may be other things MetaCard subscribers may have to give up,
however.  We haven't worked out the policy for all of these things
yet.  One issue is access to beta-test releases: MC always did public
beta tests whereas RR only allows their Pro customers access to the
betas.  It's therefore likely that this past benefit of being a
MetaCard customer will go away.  Any concerns about this change, or
any other, should be brought to my or Kevin Miller's attention and
we'll try to come up with a way to keep everyone happy.

> And will the frequency of new releases be faster or slower than before?  For
> example, will the MC engine be released as soon as it's ready or held back
> for the Rev IDE to be updated for it?

It would certainly be easier to keep them synchronized.  But RR has
already publicly committed to using shorter release cycles in the
future so that any delays due to the needs to keep them in sync should
be minimal.
  Regards,
    Scott