METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 22:03:01 EDT 2003

>If you hung on to HyperCard until only a year and a half ago then change
>must be difficult for you. However, you will find that Rev 2.0.1 is quite
>stable and the transition is a far smaller jump than the HC to MC one. I
>imagine that if Raney has been thinking about this for a while then he would
>not have considered it if he didn't think Rev was ready.
>
>I suggest that you get Rev 2.0.1 and start getting used to the new IDE. If
>you find bugs then report them so that when you need to finally transfer all
>your apps to the new IDE the bugs would have been fixed.
>
>Cheers
>
>Monte

Monte,

I haven't even transferred all of my apps to the OLD ide!  I've
transfered two from HC to MC.  And it took so long, I will not do the
others.  I'm still working the kinks out of the two.  Do that again?
No.  The goal is to get something moved and stable, so that you can
send it out into the world, and then start adding features to it and
release upgrades.  Not to keep moving and stabilizing from here to
there to wherever.

I'm at a point where my two primary programs can start being
upgraded, rather than tech supported.  And focus is on the NEW
program, and the planned updates to the two primary programs.  It
would be a major setback to pour more resources into the programs I
just got done pouring the last year into, because the compiler
changed.

I have a very specific roadmap to follow.  To veer off of it again,
would be disastrous.  Stability is key.  Bugs are not affordable.
One bug costs 30 days of productivity.  To fix, and test, and then
have others test, and then release, and then remarket.  There is no
such thing as a small change.  All programmers know this.  It is the
fundamental rule of programming.  No matter how small you believe the
change is, it will likely impact something else, and the chance
exists that something will break.

Switch to a new IDE and lose another year?  No.  I may end up stuck
at MC 2.4.3 as I stayed stuck at HC 2.4.1.  I need to move forward,
not go back into 6 months of beta testing.

I did not intend to upgrade to another paid-for version of MC until I
got the next program out the door and producing income, which will
likely be next summer.  Changing means money goes out.  My money is
already spent for the next year, on moving from Mac Classic to Mac
OSX, having to replace all the apps so that I do not need Classic.
Metacard was an expenditure already completed.

I wish I saw good things here.  I wish I could believe.  If I embrace
Rev, I see losing a year's productivity, just when I finally got
where I really want to be.  And then having additional tech support
for the next god knows how long.  I've finally figured out most of
the kinks in MC, and it does have kinks that needed to be worked
around.   I've finally worked around 99% of the anomalies, and my
tech support issues are almost null, which is where they need to be.
Worms are best left in the can.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--