Creating thumbnail

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Wed Jan 8 23:14:14 EST 2003

I know this is unearthing an old topic, but I have a problem with
creating a thumbnail of a group.

I have a group that's much bigger than the size of my window, and I
want to make a sort of preview of the entire group's contents similar
to the Navigator palette in Adobe applications.  I got this nice advice:

On Sunday, December 22, 2002, at 02:05 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Do an import snapshot of the grcs you want and then resize the
> resulting
> image and lock the loc of it to keep it from resizing. You may want to
> do
> another import snapshot of the newly lockloc 'ed image if you're
> trying to
> keep the filesize small.

Which I got working just fine.  However, to get it to work I have to
resize the stack's window size to as big as the group, then take a
snapshot of the group's rect.  Resizing the stack's window really big
then moving it back to the original size is extremely distracting, and
throwing in a "lock screen" command seems to not make anything work at
all.  Like it doesn't take a picture at all, or if it does, it's not
the rectangle I want it to take, it's the rectangle before I resized
the window.

So, how could I import a snapshot of a group without resizing the
window really big, or at least hiding the window's wacky resizing?

Thanks,
Karl