Multi-user databases for Medical Office

andu undo at cloud9.net
Wed Jan 8 23:12:01 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, January 08, 2003 22:08:11 -0500 ScottYang at aol.com wrote:

> I've just moved into a new medical office and am trying to build a
> multiuser,  multi workstation database where doctors can input patient
> notes  simultaneously....I know it can be done, but here's the problem...
>    I build a stack which I put on the share drive and two or three
> doctors  open it up and use it, but how can information or a record be
> saved so a  Doctor who is in open room can see the note written in
> another office? Seems  like I have to save and then close the stack and
> then run to another room and  open the same stack from the share drive to
> be able to retrieve info written  in a different part of the office.

I can think of 2 ways:
1. save and store all the data to text file (or a separate stack for that
matter) and have the application update itself every other second. This
works for your shared drive setup but it is not very elegant.
2. use a client-server setup where all data is sent by client applications
to the server which upon receiving new data propagates it to the other
clients. The communication between clients and server is done using sockets
and a simple protocol and it doesn't require a shared drive.